Friday, February 10, 2012

Valentines for My Moms

My Mother-in-law and my Mother have been through the ringer this past year. My Mother-in-law is battling cancer and my Mother is struggling with all the complications of COPD (we almost lost her a couple times in the last 2 years). Even with all these really major health issues, both of them are cheerful and upbeat people who worry about everyone else other than themselves. My MIL called me worried about me every day this past week when my little surgery was a little blip in the road compared to what she is facing. My Mom will be dragging some days, but she is still smiling and still thinking about that card or cake she needs to make for a sick friend. Both are truly my heroes!!!

I attempted to make them special Valentine's cards this year. Both love flowers and more elaborate cards so I tried to make sure both cards had some type of pretty flower and other elements on them.


The top card is for my MIL, Nonie. She loves bright flowers so I added lots of rich purply/pink flowers made with the Martha Stewart Hydrengea punch. I added gold bead centers. I learned to make these from a quick tutorial done by Pat Smethers where she details out a technique developed by her friend Tosha (a great artist)- here is the link. I also made some smaller little flowers to add into the spaces that needed a bit more. I use the Martha Stewart leaf punch for the greenery (not exactly sure of the real name for this punch - looks more like a group of leaves or a frond). I used the Splitcoast Stampers Sketch Challenge as my sketch base - it is a wonderful sketch this week. Other details include: SU! Chocolate Chip ink (sponged around the papers for aging), lace (a gift from Pat Smethers I have been hoarding a long time), ribbon from Hobby Lobby, designer papers from Hobby Lobby (The Paper Studio), bling from Michaels ($1 bin), and cardstock from SU!(old olive and I think rich razzelberry, but I am not sure).

The long card is for my Mother. I was inspired by Karola Witczak who is the Muse at The Case Study Blog. She is a stunning crafter and artist and makes lots of beautiful flowers and collages. The inspirational card is long and had an amazing collage of fun flower petals and other design elements including a butterfly. I tried to capture that collage look on my card as well. I visited Karola's blog and it was full of tons of handmade flowers. It inspired me to make the center of my flower (I used the curling and cupping techniques for flower making to make them cutting one layer by hand and using the EK Success 5 petal flower punch for the center).

My Mother loves the Charity Wings Image done by LilyPink Designs and available at Can You Digi It? (All proceeds from the image go to support the Charity Wings organization - a group of crafters who support worthy charities). I altered the image by just using the wings - I hope the artist won't mind but it seemed to work. I used my embossing stylus in a circular pattern all over the wings (front and back) to break down the paper fibers enough to make them curl). I cut out a couple of hearts and layered them on top of the wings.

Other items on the card include GCD Paris Nights designer paper, SU! Very Vanilla Seam Binding (my new favorite thing for cards), Spotted Canary and Real Life Stickers, and some black MS Branch punch sprigs.

Hope you have a great day and thanks for visiting my blog. A special late Birthday wish to my friend Samir Paul who I know always looks at my blog!

Hugz to all!

8 comments:

  1. Two absolute beauties! Love the cluster of flowers on the first one and that gorgeous lace. Lovely muted tones and focal cluster on the second. I'm sure they will bring great joy to the recipients and what a great way to show them you care :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There will be two melted hearts come Valentine's Day this year that's for sure. I can't even say enough about these two card. They are just totally stunning each in their own way. I was sorry to hear you had a surgery and wish you a speedy recovery. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your cards are just gorgeous and I don't mind at all that you altered my design - funny thing is I have done a heart with wings as well :D Great minds think alike!! I'm sure both these stunning works of art will be very well received :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are BEAUTIES, Nancy!! So perfect for your loving, lovely, and selfless mother and mother-in-law. You are going to make their days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For two very deserving mothers, you've made each of them a wonderful, thoughtful card for Valentine's day! I love all the details on each, and I know they're both going to feel very loved when they open these cards! NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a caring heart you have, no doubts the two cards are so beautiful.. thank you very much for birthday wish-- Samir

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, both of these cards are outstanding. I like the design, textures and colors on them. I have to say the MIL card is my favorite just because of the colors and the femininity of it. Both Mom's are going to love the cards. Your love for them is so evident in the art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a touching insight into your life...and what a thoughtful way to let both your mother and mother in law know that that care. Both of these cards are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete