Skip to main content

Napkin Fun

Hello crafty friends.  I am still around!  With work super busy, it has been hard for me to keep up my blogging and card-making, BAJ, and scrapbooking....the blogging fell off but the crafting has been going well.  In the last week and a half, I have made two fun projects using napkins. 

This card was really fun to make, I played with a new set of Tim Holtz dies that I received for my birthday (Merry Moose).  I have loved every card I have seen with this set, and I am so glad my daughter bought it off my Amazon wish list.

I started my card by spraying watercolor paper with water and then sprinkling on some Brushos powder.  Next, I sprayed more water until the powders all blended.  Don't you love how Brushos change and move and turn into something wonderful?

The trees are cut from eight layers of a folded napkin.  I watched a Splitcoaststampers.com video this week by Dave Brethauer (Graphic Designer for Memory box) on using die cut napkins in your art, and I really wanted to try it (I really recommend you watch the video - his examples are stunning).  Once the trees were cut, I water colored them with brown Brushos and let them dry.  I cut the moose from some malted milk paper and water colored all the pieces.  The gold pieces are from a left over facial cream package I have been saving (I love a good up-cycle).  I hand cut the snow bank and added some watered down black on the edge.  For my sentiment, I stamped the DRS Designs Small Merry Christmas Greeting and cut it out like a banner.  After the moose was assembled and added to the scene, I flecked on some Snowtex.

Sounds like a lot of steps but it was really pretty easy.  I made another one for my Pop's birthday card - what hunter doesn't like a card with game on it? LOL.  

I also wanted to share one of my favorite BAJ pages I have done lately.

I know, it is a bit on the scary side, but the Seven Seals (Revelation) are a bit on the scary side too!  This was also made using a napkin.  It was a left over Halloween napkin.  I cut the skull out and in half and used gesso to stick it and seal it.  Once it was dry, I went over the edges with a marker.  I then went into the words with the marker the depth of the skull on the other side.  Using my finger, I added some Tim Holtz Black Soot on the other side to do matching shadows so I had a similar left side in the words without covering them up.  

I wrote the seven seals in the cracks and crevices of the napkin side.  Uber frightful and super fun.  It was easy and looks sooooo cool (to me).

Hope you are doing well and creating tons of fun stuff for the holidays (or for any day :)).   

Hugz,

Nancy



Comments

  1. Hey Nancy, your card is fabulous! LOVE that moose and all the snow falling. Yep - a perfect card for anyone that loves to hunt for sure. Also love the skull! Wow!!!! Very interesting and just fun. Love it!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving that moose!!! Might have to snatch him up. :)
    Great BAJ page, napkins are so versatile. Gotta love em. ~ Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful moose card, perfect for a masculine Christmas card. I tried the paper napkin technique but the layers fell apart. Now you have me wanting to have another go :)
    Striking bible journal page, absolutely incredible drawing of the skull.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A super card and great page Nancy, such a lovely set of dies.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you got a chance to create and add to your blog. Gorgeous Brushos layered napkins blue background and amazing die cut and assembled moose. Your bible journal page is amazing too. TFS my friend. Hugs..Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific card,I love all of the dimension. Thanks you for describing the process of making it and sharing a link to the use of die cut napkins (really? I hadn't heard of that!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forest Goodies and Other Projects

 Hello Crafty Friends. I just got the Stamperia Forest Paper and Die Cuts in the mail so I had to play with them right away.   I have a combo creation - journal page and card.  On the journal page I used my 6x6 Dina Wakley Journal and laid a base of gesso.  I then used Dina's pastel crayons and some SU! inks and stamps.  Also added in some TH Dress Ink in Vintage Photo since I don't know how to make anything without it  (seriously).   The eagle is a Stamperia Forest die cut and is coated with gesso.  Did a bit of stenciling and distressing to finish the page off.  I am linking this the the **Art*Journal*Journey* September Texture Theme (last day - can't wait to see what October's Theme will be).  The die cut and the little smears add texture to the already very textured page.   I love the blue and green together and was inspired to made a quick card for my Son-in-law who cut down some tree limbs for us the other day.  The paper in the middle is from the Stamperia Forest

A Martini, Peanut Butter Cupakes, and Art

Hello Friends. Today, I have an ecletic mix of drinks, dessert, and art. First, it's T-day somewhere in the world so time for a drink post which I am linking to Elizabeth's Blog - Altered Book Lover.  Last week we had a work related dinner.  When the waitress asked what I wanted to drink, I had a sudden craving for a martini.  I use to love them, but I guess my tastes have changed because I wasn't a fan.  I was a fan of the chips and dips though! And the day before, I brought my Sister's fabulous peanut butter cupcakes.  Mainly because I was craving them and couldn't ask her to make just one..... Over at **Art*Journal*Journey* Elle picked a theme of Books, Cats, and Tea (you can pick one, two or three of the items).  I did a Bible Journal Page in my Journaling Bible - Luke 13:24-25.  After a layer of Gesso, I took a Sharpie pen and drew the kitty, then the narrow door, and then colored the door with Arteza Brush pens. The verse was written with a Micron pen.  This

Milkshake Malt Porter and a Bit of Art

 Hello friends and Happy T-day. It has been hit or miss with me lately on T-day posts. The remodel of our house next door has taken our mental and physical energy.  I think a few more weeks and things will be on the contractor instead of us.  Hopefully I will be back to normal by then. My Oldest Darling Daughter asked if we wanted to come for dinner Saturday.  Translation:  go to the store with me and we will bring part of dinner to your house and you cook the rest.  While at the store, I saw one 6 pack of this fun milkshake porter so, of course, I bought it.  It smells wonderful (a hint of chocolate and a hit of malt) and has a light creamy taste.  I would definitely buy it again if I see it.  My son-in-law did not like it, but he is more a  Miller Lite fan.  Now if this had been a whiskey, he would have been all over it.  LOL.  Linking this to Elizabeth's blog for the T-party gang. Darling Daughter had tried her hand at dried pintos, and she rocked them (I will begging for a rep