Skip to main content

Carrots and Cotton

I finding out what the new theme is every month at *Art*Journal*Journey!  This month, Tracey has selected "The Meaning Of."  She is letting us interpret it any way we want which is very thought-provoking.  You need to pop over and see the gorgeous landscape she made and how she personally interpreted her theme.

I have a goal to finish Lamentations in my BAJ so I went to Lamentations 2 which is pretty dark and tells about the destruction of Jerusalem when God was angered.  I read several commentaries on it, but they were very deep and just didn't want to stick in my head...(not much wants to these days unless it is super fun or a new recipe - lol).  So I decided to focus on the fact that we need to learn from God's lessons to us.  We may not like the act that leads to the lesson, but our goal is to survive the act and learn from the lesson.  So then I researched learning from lessons and found this awesome quote by Alan Cohen:

"The apparent goal of the journey is simply the carrot the universe dangles before you to get you to learn the lessons the adventure yields."

Then I started thinking about C-19 and how our carrot is that magical and elusive day we all get a vaccine or the numbers drop off. Who knows when that will happen as so many people I know are saying they don't want to take the vaccine... (I plan to be one of the first people in line).  The lessons we should be learning are many but include:

*Slow down

*Don't take things for granted

*Enjoy and focus on your family and friends  - they are the real treasure in life

*We NEED God because we are not smart enough rich enough or powerful enough to solve everything

*Money can't buy fame

*If you don't have good hobbies and things you enjoy - life can be very empty

*Those things you think you will do when you have time really probably won't get done even when you do (at least for me - lol)

There are many more, but these are the first that come to my mind. Then I remembered I had a carrot stencil in a stencil book I got at the Thrift store for $1 (it is in the background in my picture).  

I just did my stenciling with inks and a make up brush, drew in a little faux stitching, and added some interesting carrot quotes.  The page underneath had circles nd they came through the page which made interesting designs on the carrot and radish.  I am going to enjoy the AJJ theme this month - lots of ideas swirling around in my head.

This weekend I watched a lot of painting videos.  My daughter needs a Christmas card for her cotton growing boyfriend's family so I found THIS great how to paint cotton bolls video.  Then I typed up a sentiment and inside and mounted it on kraft paper.  She loved it. I had fun painting it with my Arteza gouache colors.  Had to buy a new tube of white and got it in two days!
Thanks for popping by!  I sure appreciate you!!!

Hugz



Comments

  1. Hi Nancy, I love your beautiful journal page and the reasoning behind it, and that image with the carrot will stay in my head for a long time. And I had carrots for my meal today, too! The painting with the cotton is gorgeous. we can all learn so much from videos, and I am thankful for all those who share their talents this way. Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Journal page is so powerful and your art work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bible art is amazing Nancy, I love the reasons behind it. And that's a brilliant card too.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your carrot and your explanation. So true Nancy! What a great idea you had. And that card for your daughter's boyfriend's family is very clever too. Wow, what a great painting too. Thank goodness we have art to make life brighter. Happy December. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your dangling carrots and the story behind it. What an awesome Christmas card for your daughters boyfriend, the cotton ball painting is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you used the carrot to show when something is in sight it can draw us closer, the C-19 vaccine is definitely the biggest of carrots at the moment. A bargain stencil and just fabulous how your journal words can be seen so clear through the carrot image. Thank you so much for sharing and explaining your meaning of creation Nancy, I love it as I do your painted cotton card so thoughtful.
    Creative wishes Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy this is a wonderful diary page with her Bible verses an Why it came about. The picture with the cotton flower is adorable. Thanks for the video! Happy day, hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous journal page Nancy, I love your thought process and a super card, you have painted beautiful cotton balls - you are very talented.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely stencil and your cotton inspired Christmas card is so clever, I'm sure they will love it 😀. Thanks for the smiles! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forest Goodies and Other Projects

 Hello Crafty Friends. I just got the Stamperia Forest Paper and Die Cuts in the mail so I had to play with them right away.   I have a combo creation - journal page and card.  On the journal page I used my 6x6 Dina Wakley Journal and laid a base of gesso.  I then used Dina's pastel crayons and some SU! inks and stamps.  Also added in some TH Dress Ink in Vintage Photo since I don't know how to make anything without it  (seriously).   The eagle is a Stamperia Forest die cut and is coated with gesso.  Did a bit of stenciling and distressing to finish the page off.  I am linking this the the **Art*Journal*Journey* September Texture Theme (last day - can't wait to see what October's Theme will be).  The die cut and the little smears add texture to the already very textured page.   I love the blue and green together and was inspired to made a quick card for my Son-in-law who cut down some tree limbs for us the other day.  The paper in the middle is from the Stamperia Forest

A Martini, Peanut Butter Cupakes, and Art

Hello Friends. Today, I have an ecletic mix of drinks, dessert, and art. First, it's T-day somewhere in the world so time for a drink post which I am linking to Elizabeth's Blog - Altered Book Lover.  Last week we had a work related dinner.  When the waitress asked what I wanted to drink, I had a sudden craving for a martini.  I use to love them, but I guess my tastes have changed because I wasn't a fan.  I was a fan of the chips and dips though! And the day before, I brought my Sister's fabulous peanut butter cupcakes.  Mainly because I was craving them and couldn't ask her to make just one..... Over at **Art*Journal*Journey* Elle picked a theme of Books, Cats, and Tea (you can pick one, two or three of the items).  I did a Bible Journal Page in my Journaling Bible - Luke 13:24-25.  After a layer of Gesso, I took a Sharpie pen and drew the kitty, then the narrow door, and then colored the door with Arteza Brush pens. The verse was written with a Micron pen.  This

Milkshake Malt Porter and a Bit of Art

 Hello friends and Happy T-day. It has been hit or miss with me lately on T-day posts. The remodel of our house next door has taken our mental and physical energy.  I think a few more weeks and things will be on the contractor instead of us.  Hopefully I will be back to normal by then. My Oldest Darling Daughter asked if we wanted to come for dinner Saturday.  Translation:  go to the store with me and we will bring part of dinner to your house and you cook the rest.  While at the store, I saw one 6 pack of this fun milkshake porter so, of course, I bought it.  It smells wonderful (a hint of chocolate and a hit of malt) and has a light creamy taste.  I would definitely buy it again if I see it.  My son-in-law did not like it, but he is more a  Miller Lite fan.  Now if this had been a whiskey, he would have been all over it.  LOL.  Linking this to Elizabeth's blog for the T-party gang. Darling Daughter had tried her hand at dried pintos, and she rocked them (I will begging for a rep