Skip to main content

Favorite MLK Quotes

In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr.,  I thought I would do a journal page with some of my favorite quotes.  He was such a good speaker and writer - I wish there was someone like him today.  

When I started this page, I was feeling brave and thought I might paint a quick picture of him, but it came out horrible.  Then I thought I would write the words from 1B - Letter from the Birmingham Jail over it and maybe you couldn't see how horrible my picture was....lol.  It didn't hide my mistakes well so I decided to put the quotes actually over his face.  I will practice and do better next year!


I painted the figure on an old hymnal page, and I distressed it a bit before gluing it down to my base journal page.  The base was done by painting some flowing flag stripes distressed with Vintage Photo ink and splashed with water.

Hard to pick a favorite but I think it might be: "I have decided to stick with love.  Hate is too great a burden to bear."  So many beautiful words came from him, and I feel he was Spirit led.

What is your favorite MLK quote?  I would love to know.

Linking this to Erika's Favorite Things theme at **Art*Journal*Journey*.  

Hugz,

Nancy




Comments

  1. Hi Nancy,

    What inspiring quotes here and yes, what a wise man he was. I like the quote where he says, we have guided missiles and misguided men!!! To add my wisdom to that, I do guided meditations for groups of parents in my daughter's school. Lol.

    Happy New Year and hope you are well.

    Lots of love,

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quotes and you did very well, I love the composition. Have a great week, stay safe and well, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A super page Nancy, a great idea to use parts of the letter - I'm sure your picture was fine.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fabulous tribute to that great man Nancy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fabulous page, Nancy. I am a quote collector. I have books and books of them. They are so inspiring, especially the ones you have posted here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A magnificent post. It is not the art but the heart behind it that shines. Excellent!

    Stay safe Nancy.
    Hugs and Blessings,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could tell Nancy that this was Martin Luther King. What I can see from the drawing you nailed it. What a fabulous page and such a wonderful tribute. You are right. We need someone like him today. I also love the music sheet you used for the background. Another wonderful idea. Thanks again for joining us at Art Journal Journey Nancy. It is much appreciated. I hope all is well. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew right away that your drawing was of Martin Luther King. Your quote filled Art Journal is a wonderful tribute to a holy caring man. One of my favorite quotes..“The quality, not the longevity, of one’s life is what is important.” – Martin Luther King Jr. Simple and so true. Still...his life ended too soon and tragically! Take care my friend and thank you for always inspiring! Love and Hugs....Nancy L

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great idea anyway I find it fascinating this representation with the quotes and Luther King Jr.
    Have a good week, hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an amazing page! Loving your tribute page and all the quotes are fabulous, I enjoyed reading them all and my favourite is to stick with love, hate is too much of a burden to bear. Wishing you a lovely week! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful page and awesome quotes, great tribute to a great man.
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sincere apologies for taking so long to visit. Sometimes life gets in the way of computer time. I'm so far behind, I may never catch up, but I'm trying.

    I can't draw anything, so your rendition of MLK is wonderful. I enjoy how you included so many of the wonderful words he shared during his far too short life. Thank you beyond belief for sharing this with us using Erika's theme at Art Journal Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you had not mentioned that you were not happy with your drawing nobody would have known. You have done a fabulous page using the quotes to signify the bars of the jail. It is a very inspiring page for a wonderful man.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unopened Mail And My Grocery List

We arrived back from our Las Vegas trip last night so the only thing on my Kitchen Counter is unopened mail and my grocery list.  I have looked up the recipes for most the great food we ate (or wish we ate) in Las Vegas including Bacon Waffles and Chicken and Waffles - so my counter top should look awesome tomorrow (or as soon as I get a waffle maker).  We had lots of fun in Las Vegas but not as much as Crystal and Joey.  If we were still 21 we would have had a blast!  No luck with gambling - but I only gained 1 pound which is a miracle! 

Christmas Mice

Hello Crafty Friends, Today, I am playing in some fun challenges with this cute card: The current House-Mouse &Friends Monday Challenge HMFMC #461 is Anything Goes with an optional theme of Pastels. I have some pastel paper in my layers. This card was made with ornaments from a SU! set, a cut up sentiment from RedLead Paperworks, and three mice I cut out of the Spellbinders Sew Sweet stamp set. The background was inspired by Jeanne Streiff's MIX challenge on Splitcoaststampers.com last Friday where she asked us to make a background using a die cut as a stencil. 

T is For 10 Years of T-Day, Too much food, and The Art (Always the Art)

Hello Friends. Most of today's post is about celebrating 10 years of Elizabeth hosting T-day parties on her blog .  If you have visited me before, you know that I regularily participate in T-day where we all post something about a drink of any type (the drink can be anything including water and the post can be a real drink, words, movies, art, etc.) on Tuesday (or Monday lol) and link it to Elizabeth's T-day blog post for the week.   This year Elizabeth is asking us to post several things in celebration of the big anniversary.   #1.   Post a picture of something that makes the number 10. I used 10 art supplies that were near me.  I am starting to make more Christmas cards so these were right at hand.  #2.   Post our regular T-day picture/post.  My drink picture today is a lunch we had in Tybee Island last week during our Georgia trip.  We ate at Pier 16 .  Great food and service. It was our favorite meal during the trip. ...