Skip to main content

Old Wine with Shrimp and Grits





A few years ago, Kenny and I got this wine on sale somewhere.  I have been hoarding it (I don't know why I was hoarding a $6 wine, but I did).  I needed some wine for a pasta dish, so we opened it up and it was wonderful.  I think the dust on the bottle made it better.  I drank a glass with my Shrimp and Grits martini.  This version of Shrimp and Grits is cheap and easy and everyone loved it.  Here is the recipe:

2 cups water
1 cup milk
Tabasco, salt, and pepper to taste

Bring to a boil, then add a little less than 1 cup of grits. Stir like crazy and immediately turn down the heat.  Once the boiling stops, continue to stir for a minute and then go to the next phase.

Take a frozen bag of shrimp out of the freezer and set the shrimp in a colander with cold water running over it.   Melt 1/4 cup butter in a skillet over medium heat and add the following:

1 Tbs onion flakes
1/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic salt
Tabasco and black pepper to taste (I added a lot of both)

Then add the shrimp to the mixture and fry the shrimp until they look done - probably about 3 minutes.  Turn off heat. 

Add  1/2 cup cheese to the grits (cheddar, American, or whatever you have) plus about 1 Tbs of parmesan cheese (I just used the Kraft in a can kind since I didn't have any fresh).  Stir until the cheese is melted.  Turn off heat and let the grits cool off about 5 minutes.

Spoon the grits into martini or wine glasses (try not to get any on the sides).  Then add the shrimp and butter mixture on top (be sure to get plenty of the butter mixture in the glass).  Serve after the mixture has cooled a little.  

There are plenty of great Shrimp and Grits recipes with bacon and onions and all kinds of wonderful things, but around here I have to do everything fast because my family gets hungry and they all hang out in the kitchen while I am cooking.  Crystal helps a lot but she is always in a hurry.  This quick method still tastes wonderful and looks very festive.   

Comments

  1. Shrimp and Grits...yum yum. How about coming over and helping me drink a bottle of wine that I have been hoarding. I bought a bottle of Chocolate wine and was suppose to drink it with my neighbor to celebrate when I found a job. The bottle is still in my frig....lol I will have to try this recipe. Looks awesome in the martini glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I could go for those grits...yummy. I'm going to South Georgia for Thanksgiving and I always get some good grits while there. Can't wait. Until I started going there, I had never had cheese grits. Oh my gosh, what I was missing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, mmm! I do love shrimp and grits. My hubby makes it sometimes, but the kids hate it so they get shrimp scampi and pasta.

    I am so happy you have a blog!! I find it fun to post stuff; do you too? I just became a Follower today!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unopened Mail And My Grocery List

We arrived back from our Las Vegas trip last night so the only thing on my Kitchen Counter is unopened mail and my grocery list.  I have looked up the recipes for most the great food we ate (or wish we ate) in Las Vegas including Bacon Waffles and Chicken and Waffles - so my counter top should look awesome tomorrow (or as soon as I get a waffle maker).  We had lots of fun in Las Vegas but not as much as Crystal and Joey.  If we were still 21 we would have had a blast!  No luck with gambling - but I only gained 1 pound which is a miracle! 

Christmas Mice

Hello Crafty Friends, Today, I am playing in some fun challenges with this cute card: The current House-Mouse &Friends Monday Challenge HMFMC #461 is Anything Goes with an optional theme of Pastels. I have some pastel paper in my layers. This card was made with ornaments from a SU! set, a cut up sentiment from RedLead Paperworks, and three mice I cut out of the Spellbinders Sew Sweet stamp set. The background was inspired by Jeanne Streiff's MIX challenge on Splitcoaststampers.com last Friday where she asked us to make a background using a die cut as a stencil. 

T is For 10 Years of T-Day, Too much food, and The Art (Always the Art)

Hello Friends. Most of today's post is about celebrating 10 years of Elizabeth hosting T-day parties on her blog .  If you have visited me before, you know that I regularily participate in T-day where we all post something about a drink of any type (the drink can be anything including water and the post can be a real drink, words, movies, art, etc.) on Tuesday (or Monday lol) and link it to Elizabeth's T-day blog post for the week.   This year Elizabeth is asking us to post several things in celebration of the big anniversary.   #1.   Post a picture of something that makes the number 10. I used 10 art supplies that were near me.  I am starting to make more Christmas cards so these were right at hand.  #2.   Post our regular T-day picture/post.  My drink picture today is a lunch we had in Tybee Island last week during our Georgia trip.  We ate at Pier 16 .  Great food and service. It was our favorite meal during the trip. ...