Skip to main content

A Kraken, Lots of Tape, and Glitter Everywhere

Fun Times!

I was off half a day yesterday and my Grandsons Lewis and Hollis were over hanging out with my hubby.  Of course, Lewis said, "Let's Make a Card."

The Art Piaskownica theme challenge is a Mermaid or the Kraken and Mia's theme at the **Art*Journal*Journey* challenge is fish  so these were the perfect inspiration.  I decided to do a page in my random thoughts journal about age  - mine is a 5x7 mixed media piece mounted on a 6x8 paper.  Lewis decided to do his 5x8 so it would be bigger than mine... funny how boys are.  He hasn't decided what to do with his and had to leave for baseball practice befor we could finish his.  

Here is my page.

The base is layers:  paper, tape, gesso, gouache paint, glitter.  The kraken tenacles are: layed paper, modeling paste, staws used for the suckers, gouache paint, metalic powder, and liquid pearls.  Here is a picture of as far as Lewis got (he had to go to baseball practice) so you can see the very base of the project. 

Hollis gave up after the first tenacle was drawn, but at least he hung with us a few minutes.  He is 5 and not so interested in art.  We can see he is starting to be open though so maybe we will get lucky one day.  When Lewis (age 6) and I were chattting about what we wanted our creation to say, I immediately thought of how the Kraken sneaks up on you and then I remembered when a friend and I were talking this week about how we didn't realize we had gotten old until we were already old.  The last few years, I kind of feel like age as really grabbed me and taken me down a bit.  Seemed like the perfect theme for my kraken page.  Lewis is going to finish his this weekend and he said he is going to go more for Release the Kraken (I used that as my side bar - lol).  So fun to create with kids. 

Thanks for visiting - I appreciate it!  This is the Art Piakownica banner for the Syrena/Kraken inspiration challenge. 



Comments

  1. Nancy your page is absolutely beautiful. I love the colors and especially the texture!! And your quote is so true!!! Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous pieces from you both, and a wonderful idea . it's lovely working with kids, they always have fun ideas. Thanks for joining us at AJJ, much appreciated! And I know what you mean about age getting to you, for the last few months I have really been feeling my age. Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this kraken and your quote to go with it. I think you were smart crinkling up the paper to make it have some motion, and then used modeling paste for the tentacles. Straws make excellent suckers too. I just love this. And it works so well with Mia's theme. This is a very clever take, and I'm glad you joined us at AJJ Nancy. Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome tentacles for your Kraken and love how you used the tape to create the sea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A super page Nancy, lots of great texture.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic journal page and awesome textures. Thank you for linking to Mia's theme at AJJ.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow Nancy, this turned out awesome! How creative you are to make those tentacles and the texture you've achieved with the tape for the background! That quote used with it really cracks me up too!! Such a fun page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This page really is absolutely brilliant! I love your quote...oh how age does creep up! What wonderful texture you have created! Great inspiration and perfect for Mia's AJJ theme, hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your page is great! So fun that your grandson also participated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Świetna praca.Dziękuję za udział w wyzwaniu Art-Piaskownicy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super! Dziękuję za udział w wyzwaniu Art - Piaskownicy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unopened Mail And My Grocery List

We arrived back from our Las Vegas trip last night so the only thing on my Kitchen Counter is unopened mail and my grocery list.  I have looked up the recipes for most the great food we ate (or wish we ate) in Las Vegas including Bacon Waffles and Chicken and Waffles - so my counter top should look awesome tomorrow (or as soon as I get a waffle maker).  We had lots of fun in Las Vegas but not as much as Crystal and Joey.  If we were still 21 we would have had a blast!  No luck with gambling - but I only gained 1 pound which is a miracle! 

Christmas Mice

Hello Crafty Friends, Today, I am playing in some fun challenges with this cute card: The current House-Mouse &Friends Monday Challenge HMFMC #461 is Anything Goes with an optional theme of Pastels. I have some pastel paper in my layers. This card was made with ornaments from a SU! set, a cut up sentiment from RedLead Paperworks, and three mice I cut out of the Spellbinders Sew Sweet stamp set. The background was inspired by Jeanne Streiff's MIX challenge on Splitcoaststampers.com last Friday where she asked us to make a background using a die cut as a stencil. 

T is For 10 Years of T-Day, Too much food, and The Art (Always the Art)

Hello Friends. Most of today's post is about celebrating 10 years of Elizabeth hosting T-day parties on her blog .  If you have visited me before, you know that I regularily participate in T-day where we all post something about a drink of any type (the drink can be anything including water and the post can be a real drink, words, movies, art, etc.) on Tuesday (or Monday lol) and link it to Elizabeth's T-day blog post for the week.   This year Elizabeth is asking us to post several things in celebration of the big anniversary.   #1.   Post a picture of something that makes the number 10. I used 10 art supplies that were near me.  I am starting to make more Christmas cards so these were right at hand.  #2.   Post our regular T-day picture/post.  My drink picture today is a lunch we had in Tybee Island last week during our Georgia trip.  We ate at Pier 16 .  Great food and service. It was our favorite meal during the trip. ...