Skip to main content

Geometric and Free Form

hello crafty friends.

Learning new things every day while being stuck at home!  This morning I learned this:

 shape is a defined 2-dimensional area. The two types of shapes are geometric and free-form, which differ in the contours they are characterized by. Geometric shapes are classified by name like circle, square, rectangle, and triangle. Free-from shapes are generally irregular, uneven, and often found in nature

The **Art*Journal*Journey* prompt for April is geometric shapes.  I remembered in geometry learning the line was super important.  So today my BAJ page has lines - some are rectangle or circular and actually count as geometric (like my background line stencil and circular 15 plus the vase) and some are free form and not geometric at all (like my flowers and leaves). 
Started the page by painting the flowers and leaves with watercolors, then I outlined them with a micron pen and drew the vase.  Next I sponged on TH DI tea stain and finished off with various stenciling (Altenew and Andy Skinner) in TH DI vintage photo. 

I then wrote in all the words to Psalm 107 on the BAJ page - they are on the lines and in the flowers and leaves - I got every word in there.  I read a lot of the words upside down and that was a cool experience - I may do that again as it allowed me to think more of about the words.  These words are so appropriate for what we are facing now. They detail how God saved us so many times when we called out to Him and repented.  Saved us from persecution, disasters, starvation, etc.

The matching card is going to a lovely lady who is facing some GIANT battles that dwarf most of our concerns. I wrote my prayer for her and her doctors in the flowers and leaves. 

Here are a few cards I made recently.

This one is a water color wash then edge sponging with a bit of Snowtex for the waves.  The birds are SU! from one of the sea sets and the words are Impression Obsession - DK Designs.
This next one is a new peeking gnome image  and sentiment from DRS Designs - I colored it with colored pencils, drew in the wall, messed up the bg with some ink so stenciled in some Magenta stencils to cover them up.  The letters look like magical words to me.  
This next one is made with a new Deepest Sympathy, Flying Fairy, and Mushroom Line images from DRS Designs (available this weekend).  I sponged on some circles using a stencil to cover yet another ink smudge.  Some sloppy creations lately but I like them.

Hugz and Be Well,

Nancy

Comments

  1. Now I have just learned something new too. I had heard of both terms and knew what they meant, but I never knew they were actually 2 different things. I thought freeform could be a form of geometric shape. Thanks. And your page today with the big hydrangea blooms is beautiful. And your cards just blew me away. Wow. The ocean scene in particular is amazing. Thanks for joining us at Art Journal Journey too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy, this is gorgeous, and thanks for the definitions. When I was a kid, a teacher asked me what you call the spot where 2 lines meet, and I said 'a corner!' She was very cross and I had to write 'Where 2 lines meet they make an angle' 50 times! I LOVE your beautiful journaling, and the gorgeous cards. That's a great quote on the first one!Thanks for linking your page to AJJ! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL of these are awesome. Love the journal page and matching card. So lovely! The sentiment on that second card is wow!!! LOVE!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your journaling and your cards too - some beautiful work there Nancy. I especially like the texture on the seascape - but then the gnome is cut and the words are fabulous.
    Funny but the other day I asked my mathematically minded other half if we could name, in turn, one geometric shape. We had great fun coming up with all the shapes we could think of and I was so pleased that I knew as many as he did.
    Hugs, Neet xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful journaling Nancy and I love those couple of cards. thanks for the inspiration with your stencilling :)
    Hugs Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nancy I love your page and card, the flowers are so pretty against your background. I am in awe at how you've managed to write all the words around the flowers and stems.
    Thanks for popping over to my blog and that's a great geometric definition, thanks.
    Avril x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful journal and cards!!! The gnome card is so sweet!
    stay healthy have a nice day
    Greetings Elke

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful page and super cards. I liked reading the definitions as we;; We can all learn new things these stay home days. Thank you for linking the page to Art Journal Journey.
    Stay safe,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful journal page and matching card Nancy, your flowers are so pretty.
    I love all of the other cards as well, especially the first one.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your flowerpage and card are beautiful, but the sea page is simply stunning!
    Great to see so many creativity in one post! Thanks for your lovely comment on my grungy-sea border. Gerrina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous page and matching card Nancy, I love the flowers and stenciled background! The other cards are very pretty too, love the sentiment on the first card!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful cards and bible art Nancy!
    Sending Easter blessings,
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pages are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what stunning cards and matching journal page! The neutral background with the pop of colour from the flowers looks so amazing - I love it 😁. Happy Easter and weekend! Stay safe and well! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful page and absolutely gorgeous collection of cards! I love them all. Thanks for sharing!! And have a very Happy Easter! HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well now, those flower heads are pretty close to circular, aren't they?! In any case, they are gorgeous. I love the soft sepia background with all those fonts and texts, and it works so well as a card too. A lovely collection of cards to end the post... the seashore one made me sigh with happiness. I'll be back for some proper catching up soon. Stay safe, stay well, and happy Easter.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forest Goodies and Other Projects

 Hello Crafty Friends. I just got the Stamperia Forest Paper and Die Cuts in the mail so I had to play with them right away.   I have a combo creation - journal page and card.  On the journal page I used my 6x6 Dina Wakley Journal and laid a base of gesso.  I then used Dina's pastel crayons and some SU! inks and stamps.  Also added in some TH Dress Ink in Vintage Photo since I don't know how to make anything without it  (seriously).   The eagle is a Stamperia Forest die cut and is coated with gesso.  Did a bit of stenciling and distressing to finish the page off.  I am linking this the the **Art*Journal*Journey* September Texture Theme (last day - can't wait to see what October's Theme will be).  The die cut and the little smears add texture to the already very textured page.   I love the blue and green together and was inspired to made a quick card for my Son-in-law who cut down some tree limbs for us the other day.  The paper in the middle is from the Stamperia Forest

A Martini, Peanut Butter Cupakes, and Art

Hello Friends. Today, I have an ecletic mix of drinks, dessert, and art. First, it's T-day somewhere in the world so time for a drink post which I am linking to Elizabeth's Blog - Altered Book Lover.  Last week we had a work related dinner.  When the waitress asked what I wanted to drink, I had a sudden craving for a martini.  I use to love them, but I guess my tastes have changed because I wasn't a fan.  I was a fan of the chips and dips though! And the day before, I brought my Sister's fabulous peanut butter cupcakes.  Mainly because I was craving them and couldn't ask her to make just one..... Over at **Art*Journal*Journey* Elle picked a theme of Books, Cats, and Tea (you can pick one, two or three of the items).  I did a Bible Journal Page in my Journaling Bible - Luke 13:24-25.  After a layer of Gesso, I took a Sharpie pen and drew the kitty, then the narrow door, and then colored the door with Arteza Brush pens. The verse was written with a Micron pen.  This

Milkshake Malt Porter and a Bit of Art

 Hello friends and Happy T-day. It has been hit or miss with me lately on T-day posts. The remodel of our house next door has taken our mental and physical energy.  I think a few more weeks and things will be on the contractor instead of us.  Hopefully I will be back to normal by then. My Oldest Darling Daughter asked if we wanted to come for dinner Saturday.  Translation:  go to the store with me and we will bring part of dinner to your house and you cook the rest.  While at the store, I saw one 6 pack of this fun milkshake porter so, of course, I bought it.  It smells wonderful (a hint of chocolate and a hit of malt) and has a light creamy taste.  I would definitely buy it again if I see it.  My son-in-law did not like it, but he is more a  Miller Lite fan.  Now if this had been a whiskey, he would have been all over it.  LOL.  Linking this to Elizabeth's blog for the T-party gang. Darling Daughter had tried her hand at dried pintos, and she rocked them (I will begging for a rep