Skip to main content

Haunted Books, Evelyn Hugo, and Some Art

 So what did I buy at the Haunted Bookshop?

I bought all these books except the top one.  I added the top one because I just finished reading it, and I loved is so much that I wanted to recommend it.  I think I cried at the end of it more than I cried with any other book.  Not even sure why I cried. I think it was over the lost opportunties we all have in life and for all the deep losses we all experience or will in the future.  It was a great book. 

I finished murder at Mardi Gras a few days ago.  It was written by a former Mobile police detective so I wanted to support a local writer.  Great story and great insight into the workings of a police detective and the politics involved in the police world, but the writing style was hard to work through.  It was a bit formal and dry. Still, I don't regret buying it or reading it.  

I am reading Anno Dracula now.  Evidently (according to the Haunted Bookshop staff), if you like vampire stories it is supposed to be one of the best and something all vampire story readers are supposed to have read.  I love vampire stories and don't want my foundations to be lacking! It is very good, but it is extremely detailed and has a lot of characters so I am having to pay attention!  Dracula marries Queen Victoria and all the vampires come out of the closet. It becomes "in" to be a vampire so everyone is turning.  There is a vampire killer at large though and it isn't Van Helsing...... fun stuff for right before Halloween.

I have a new bottle of wine in the background on the righ:  Moonx.  It is my ticket to Elizabeth's T-day where we all meet every Tuesday and share one of our favorite drinks in some form. I bought it at Trader Joes.  It was one of the the featured wines and very reasonably priced.  This is what the back says:  "This juicy, super dense wine is inspired by the onyx blackness of a new moon - a lunar phase occuring when the sun, earth, and the moon are all aligned.  Loaded with intense dark flavors of blackberries, rasberry jam, and exotic spices with a caramel toast, enjoy with a bold dish or by itself."  I am going back and buying more as it is wonderful. 

Now some art from the week. 

Trying to get some Christmas cards done and bought some new SU! stamp sets and papers - don't you love playing with new toys?



Also did a bible journal page using Mixed Media Journaling prompts from our sweet T-day Gang member, Sharon (on a challenge she hosted on Splitcoaststampers.com).  She gave us a laundry list of items to choose from, and I picked: napkin, teal, and a photo from a magazine.

I did it in my journaling bible - Proverbs 12.  We should all probably read it at least once a week! The butterflies are cut from napkins and the tag was one hanging from one of my new school clothes.  This year, when all my great-nieces and nephews were talking about getting new clothes, I decided to get some too - lol!

Happy T-day and thanks for dropping by!

Comments

  1. The Evelyn Hugo book is on my wish list and I'm glad you reviewed it Nancy. I love reading book reviews so thanks for that. I also like vampire books and can I recommend Dracul but JD Barker and Dacre Stoker. It is about Bram Stoker's childhood, but definitely a fictional story with lots of mysterious happenings. You have some beautiful art this week, and I hope some fun new clothes too. Have a great T and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have bought some great books, I have been looking at the Hugo book, too. In the meantime I only buy Kindle Books as all of my bookshelves have 2 rows of books in them and I have no where to put more- The bible journaling is wonderful, Proverbs is suc h a fascinating book full of wiadom. And the cards are lovely, too. Happy T Day, enjoy your reading, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. good morning, thank you for the book recommendations the vampire one sounds interesting. Loving your christmas cards-I haven't decided how I am going to make mine for this year yet I like to start mine early too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great books to read. Your cards are lovely too. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The books sound good, and the bookshop sounds like the perfect place to stock up for October reading. The wine sounds good. I love the way they describe it. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Themed bookstores are appealing, but it's hard for them to make it in the current difficult retail conditions -- I hope yours stays in business. We had a mystery bookshop here but it didn't survive and I must admit that it didn't do much for me so I wasn't a good customer.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here with Six-Thirty - I was really sad having finished the book!
    Too hot (jippeee) for wine, beer it is!
    Christmas was in July ;-)
    Happy T-Day and... Merry Christmas in August ;-) Kidding. Always good to be ready in time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Christmas card with the little dog is super cute! You're early in making Christmas cards, probably very wise since it will be here sooner than we think. Playing with new art supplies is always fun. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your journal page is lovely as are your cards. I had to look up Proverbs 12, you are SO right. There are so many nuggets of knowledge and wisdom in that one chapter. And many reminders to me of what I need to work on.
    I was interested in the top book but only because of the beautiful cover. I totally pick out books based on the cover, haha. Now I will have to add this to my To-read list. Thank you for the suggestions.
    Happy tea day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only book in your stack that I have read is Anno Dracula! It's a great book and there's quite a few in the series, at least 5 or 6 of them. I like the author and have read some of his non-Dracula books too. I am curious about the top book too and will check it out. Love the little Scotty dog card! Happy T Day Elle/EOTC xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love reading about these books you are reading. I wish I had more time to read something other than journal articles and white pages. That Anno Dracula book sounds interesting and so does Murder at Mardi Gras.

    LOVE those beautiful Christmas cards. You and Sharon seem to make different cards for each person. I'm not really a card maker, so once I create a design, I make it over and over and over. I prefer to make tip-ins instead.

    Your bible journal page is beautiful and I am SO glad you used a napkin, so people could see how a napkin can fit in a journal page.

    When I was in CA in 2010, I remember seeing Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's. I bet the wine is more than two bucks today, but I enjoyed reading about yours.

    Thanks for sharing your books, your Christmas cards, the bible page, and your wine with us for T this Tuesday, dear Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love scarey books so much!! I find it difficult to find a good one though! Thank you for your recommendations! Your cards are lovely too.. Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yea! There's nothing better than a good book to read and you've got an awesome pile there! Peter Straub will be a good one! Your Christmas makes are so festive and fun!! I love new goodies for sure!! Such a great post friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Bible art journal page is wonderful! I was so glad to see you played the challenge and did it so well. I especially like that you chose to use a napkin. About your book recommendations, I am not into vampires! I wonder about the Seven Husbands one, though. Oh, almost forgot to tell you I think your Christmas cards are beautiful. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your choice of books sounds really interesting. Do I understand correctly that the Dracula book is rather funny?
    Wow, the wine seems to be really delicious!
    All the best and happy T Day!
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/08/mallorca-reisebericht-teil-5-tag-9-bis.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Christmas cards. The Scottie dog is very cute. You have reminded me I need to think of a card design for this year as the season is just around the corner. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  17. A super collection of books Nancy, it looks like you are going to busy reading them all.
    Lovely cards and a beautiful journal page, beautiful butterflies and you have created a great background for them.
    Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
    x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forest Goodies and Other Projects

 Hello Crafty Friends. I just got the Stamperia Forest Paper and Die Cuts in the mail so I had to play with them right away.   I have a combo creation - journal page and card.  On the journal page I used my 6x6 Dina Wakley Journal and laid a base of gesso.  I then used Dina's pastel crayons and some SU! inks and stamps.  Also added in some TH Dress Ink in Vintage Photo since I don't know how to make anything without it  (seriously).   The eagle is a Stamperia Forest die cut and is coated with gesso.  Did a bit of stenciling and distressing to finish the page off.  I am linking this the the **Art*Journal*Journey* September Texture Theme (last day - can't wait to see what October's Theme will be).  The die cut and the little smears add texture to the already very textured page.   I love the blue and green together and was inspired to made a quick card for my Son-in-law who cut down some tree limbs for us the other day.  The paper in the middle is from the Stamperia Forest

A Martini, Peanut Butter Cupakes, and Art

Hello Friends. Today, I have an ecletic mix of drinks, dessert, and art. First, it's T-day somewhere in the world so time for a drink post which I am linking to Elizabeth's Blog - Altered Book Lover.  Last week we had a work related dinner.  When the waitress asked what I wanted to drink, I had a sudden craving for a martini.  I use to love them, but I guess my tastes have changed because I wasn't a fan.  I was a fan of the chips and dips though! And the day before, I brought my Sister's fabulous peanut butter cupcakes.  Mainly because I was craving them and couldn't ask her to make just one..... Over at **Art*Journal*Journey* Elle picked a theme of Books, Cats, and Tea (you can pick one, two or three of the items).  I did a Bible Journal Page in my Journaling Bible - Luke 13:24-25.  After a layer of Gesso, I took a Sharpie pen and drew the kitty, then the narrow door, and then colored the door with Arteza Brush pens. The verse was written with a Micron pen.  This

Milkshake Malt Porter and a Bit of Art

 Hello friends and Happy T-day. It has been hit or miss with me lately on T-day posts. The remodel of our house next door has taken our mental and physical energy.  I think a few more weeks and things will be on the contractor instead of us.  Hopefully I will be back to normal by then. My Oldest Darling Daughter asked if we wanted to come for dinner Saturday.  Translation:  go to the store with me and we will bring part of dinner to your house and you cook the rest.  While at the store, I saw one 6 pack of this fun milkshake porter so, of course, I bought it.  It smells wonderful (a hint of chocolate and a hit of malt) and has a light creamy taste.  I would definitely buy it again if I see it.  My son-in-law did not like it, but he is more a  Miller Lite fan.  Now if this had been a whiskey, he would have been all over it.  LOL.  Linking this to Elizabeth's blog for the T-party gang. Darling Daughter had tried her hand at dried pintos, and she rocked them (I will begging for a rep