Skip to main content

Vanilla Porter, Haunted Places, and Back To School Fun

Happy T-day!  Especially to the T-day gang over at Elizabeth's Blog where we all share a drink related picture/post.  I am starting this post off with one of my last drinks on our Georgia trip.  This picture was taken in the Airbnb we stayed near Savannah.  It was on hte Isle of Hope and it was right across the street from Wormsloe Plantation (seriously - we could just walk over to it and could see it out our windows.  The tree lined streets were amazing!  My drink is a vanilla porter from Breckenridge Brewery out of Colorado.  I was hoping for a good local one, but they didn't have any that I knew I would love AND I knew I would love this one.  It was wonderful.  Have you ever had it Erika?

I looked up the brewery and I would love to go there.  I especially wanted to go there after seeing their website which is VERY fun.  I espeically liked this ad for a  fun event they sponsor.  What a cool name - I think is a band but not totally sure and running out of time to look it up. 

Speaking of Shakey Graves lets get back to my last pictures I am sharing from Georgia.  I love haunted places, so we went to the Chickamauga Battlefield before we left Chickamauga.  The Battle of Chickamauga was the second bloodest battle in the civil war.  The Confederate army won, but lost 20% of its men. There are memorials and markers for miles and even in the trees/forest.  They battled all over the place.  Here is one of the memorials.
They say it is VERY haunted and being in the area at night is chilling. Going through their museum made me realize this was one of the stupidest wars of all time. Family killing family in the hot summer. More than half of them really had no idea why they were fighting and the leaders were all egotistical and fighting each other as well. There is a really cool ghost story if you are interested:  Green Eyes of Chickamauga Battlefield

When we went to Savannah we went downtown, drove to the beach, drove by the port, visited some of the Isles, went to several smaller graveyards, but my favorite place of all was the Bonaventure Cemetery (I know you are not surprised).  Some say it is the most beautiful cemetery in the U.S. and it is in the top 10 in the World. I had no idea it was 100 acres (not 100 acres of graves though).  We drove up and saw you could just walk or drive around for free so we decided to walk - lack of coffee may have had something to do with this crazy decision...  It was middle of summer in a swampy area of Georgia.  The bugs started coming out pretty heavy and it was hot and spooky.  We tried to brave it for at least 30 minutes, but we decided to turn back as it was starting to get really buggy.  The lines are not straight in this cemetery, there are tons of buildings (literally), and the trees are BIG with tons of moss hanging from them.  The map was no help....My phone map was no help...Yes, we got lost!  Just when I started getting a little panic feeling, a sweet couple our age drove up and stopped. They were super nice and gave us a ride back to our car (they were actually lost too but it is way better to be lost in an airconditioned car than walking in bugs and heat). So now I can say I was lost in a cemetery - how fun is that.  I could have taken pictures of thousands of cool graves), but here are some of my favorites.







I want to go back and do one of the tours next time.  No chance to get lost and you would get a lot of fun information.  They took the famous angel on the cover of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil out, but you can visit it in one of the Savannah museums.  There are still a bunch of other angels to see - we didn't even get to the really good part of the cemetery.  

It is back to school today for two of my grandsons.  My daughter asked me to help her with some hello teacher gifts, and they came out super cute.  The plastic bears came from Walmart, and they each had a Starbucks and a Walmart or Target Gift card with a few fun supplies. Both children are delighted with their teachers.  Hoping it will be a great year. 


She saw this idea on TikTok.  I wanted to go buy some of the bears myself!  

Hope you have a wonderful week!

Hugz,

Nancy




Comments

  1. Your adventures in the cemetery made me think of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, and then you mentioned it. Great adventure! Too bad about the bugs.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, would love to try the beer!
    And haunted places, hm. We´ve been to the Freo prison twice and it was scary. They offer night-tours - but I´m afraid I´ll have bad dreams of freak, LOL!
    The war Russians who fight right now are clueless, too...
    Creepy green eyes!
    Nice of that couple to give you a ride!
    Hello teacher gifts! Such a sweet idea.
    Happy Beer... T-Day, Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy, glad you had a fun time. Getting lost in a spooky graveyard is really spooky, so I'm glad some nice people rescued you! Love the gifts for the teachers, nice idea! Have a great week, Nancy, take care! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun that is to lost in a cemetery! I can feel that experience! The gifts sound adorable and thoughtful. That sounds like a wonderful way to start the school year! I hope your grandsons have a fantastic year ahead with their teachers.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such adorable teacher gifts, I would love to do this! I always wait until last minute and don't know what to do.
    Those headstones are gorgeous! It would be a great place to go and sketch.
    I have been to Breckenridge, CO. In fact, my nephew is named Brecken after Breckenridge. We visited there several years ago and it is such a beautiful little town with the mountains in the background. We didn't visit the brewery but I am sure my SIL has been there.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to get lost in the spooky graveyard! Glad you enjoyed the time and you were rescued! Your school gifts are super cute and so fun! It's that time of the year and I'm sure these will help! Have a wonderful day friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is it about cemeteries that some of us (yes, me too) are drawn to them? I took an independent study class as an undergrad, and I studied cemeteries. Have you ever thought that cemeteries are designed similar to cities? The old parts are in the center and the newer parts radiate outward. Some cemeteries don't follow that design, but it is true for the most part. I really LOVED seeing your incredible photos. Sorry about the bugs. Next time you'll have to stop and pick up a can of bug spray before you walk the grounds. I loved seeing the old crypts and mausoleums. Thanks for these photos.

    You and your daughter did a great thing with the bears. I know both teachers will be pleased and will more than likely give special attention to your grandsons.

    I had to laugh at Shaky Graves. A perfect lead into the scary cemetery. I'll pass on the porter, but it looks like they might have a stout. Thanks for sharing the cemetery, the bears, and the porter beer with us for T this Tuesday, Nancy. And thanks again for all that tea and those amazing ATCs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried that beer, but it does look really good. I think beer labeling has surpassed wine labeling, and I will try a beer (or wine) due to the label. Not very scientific nor very gourmet, but I will try it. And wow, that is an amazing cemetery. I think a tour would be a great idea. I visited Savannah once, back in my twenties. And I wasn't there very long, but I remember it was a beautiful city. I need to go back I think. And those are fun back to school bears. Were your grandsons excited for school or wishing it was still summer? I'm a little late stopping by so I hope it was a great T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful cemetery that is! I think a tour would be a great idea. Getting lost in a cemetery could get a bit spooky I assume. I have never been to Savannah, but I heard that is is a beautiful city. Maybe one day - preferably not in the summer.
    Wars are always stupid, a completely unnecessary bloddshed - and we will never learn.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhh you know I would love going there. Give me haunted any day. LOL What a beautiful cemetery. Back to school already? Those are very nice gifts for the teachers. I'm off to read the ghost story. Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute are those little bear gifts!! Fun! I want to go get lost with you in the cemetery! I love walking around old cemeteries, although I have never been on foot in one that big before! Lovely photos. Happy t Day, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to get lost in the cemetery with you. You photographed some beautiful stones. Cute and thoughtful teacher gifts, too. I bet they were much appreciated. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forest Goodies and Other Projects

 Hello Crafty Friends. I just got the Stamperia Forest Paper and Die Cuts in the mail so I had to play with them right away.   I have a combo creation - journal page and card.  On the journal page I used my 6x6 Dina Wakley Journal and laid a base of gesso.  I then used Dina's pastel crayons and some SU! inks and stamps.  Also added in some TH Dress Ink in Vintage Photo since I don't know how to make anything without it  (seriously).   The eagle is a Stamperia Forest die cut and is coated with gesso.  Did a bit of stenciling and distressing to finish the page off.  I am linking this the the **Art*Journal*Journey* September Texture Theme (last day - can't wait to see what October's Theme will be).  The die cut and the little smears add texture to the already very textured page.   I love the blue and green together and was inspired to made a quick card for my Son-in-law who cut down some tree limbs for us the other day.  The paper in the middle is from the Stamperia Forest

A Martini, Peanut Butter Cupakes, and Art

Hello Friends. Today, I have an ecletic mix of drinks, dessert, and art. First, it's T-day somewhere in the world so time for a drink post which I am linking to Elizabeth's Blog - Altered Book Lover.  Last week we had a work related dinner.  When the waitress asked what I wanted to drink, I had a sudden craving for a martini.  I use to love them, but I guess my tastes have changed because I wasn't a fan.  I was a fan of the chips and dips though! And the day before, I brought my Sister's fabulous peanut butter cupcakes.  Mainly because I was craving them and couldn't ask her to make just one..... Over at **Art*Journal*Journey* Elle picked a theme of Books, Cats, and Tea (you can pick one, two or three of the items).  I did a Bible Journal Page in my Journaling Bible - Luke 13:24-25.  After a layer of Gesso, I took a Sharpie pen and drew the kitty, then the narrow door, and then colored the door with Arteza Brush pens. The verse was written with a Micron pen.  This

Milkshake Malt Porter and a Bit of Art

 Hello friends and Happy T-day. It has been hit or miss with me lately on T-day posts. The remodel of our house next door has taken our mental and physical energy.  I think a few more weeks and things will be on the contractor instead of us.  Hopefully I will be back to normal by then. My Oldest Darling Daughter asked if we wanted to come for dinner Saturday.  Translation:  go to the store with me and we will bring part of dinner to your house and you cook the rest.  While at the store, I saw one 6 pack of this fun milkshake porter so, of course, I bought it.  It smells wonderful (a hint of chocolate and a hit of malt) and has a light creamy taste.  I would definitely buy it again if I see it.  My son-in-law did not like it, but he is more a  Miller Lite fan.  Now if this had been a whiskey, he would have been all over it.  LOL.  Linking this to Elizabeth's blog for the T-party gang. Darling Daughter had tried her hand at dried pintos, and she rocked them (I will begging for a rep