Skip to main content

Prattvile Plein Air Art Adventure

Happy T-day if you celebrate it.  

I am meeting up with the T-gang over at Elizabeth's Blog who post a wide variety of things going on in their life and ensure something is drink related.  

This weekend, I participated in the Prattville Plein Air Art Event.  I was especially drawn to the comment about it being mentally stimulating and relaxing.

I had chickened out by Saturday morning, but my daughter encouraged me and said she would go with me so off we went.  We picked the Pratt cemetery because it is hidden away on a beautiful high point in town and has the coolest gravestone for Daniel Pratt who founded Prattville and contributed greatly to industry in Alabama.  This is the cemetery. 

We arrived very late (the last two hours of the two day event), but we still found people around town painting (we drove to the top of the hill as it was a bit too far for me and all uphill so our walk was a short one).


They gave us water, snacks, a lovely art journal, and a cool bag to put our supplies in.  Because we were late and hungry, I decided to study the cemetery, sketch it lightly, take a bunch of pictures, and then go to a local restaurant and finish.  Here I am putting the finishing touches on my sketch while we were waiting for a table at Fox's Pizza. That is a cotton bundle behind me (Prattvile was founded around a cotton gin). 

Here I am painting (sorry for the poor pictures but the lighting was not good for picture taking).  We asked for the only table with any nature light).  
We had a small cheeseburger pizza, loaded potato wedges, and some cool drinks.  This was a cremesicle. Allie poured me some in a glass since I am avoiding alcohol and could only have a sip. It was wonderful.  I ordered a chocolate peanut butter coffee (forgot to take a picture).  
And here is the finished picture.  I gave up on the fence and went for the essence of a fence instead.  Allie loved it.  She framed it and has it hanging in her house.
It was way out of my comfort zone, but I have to admit it was a super fun event and I will try to do it again next year.  Hope you are doing things out of your comfort zone too.  

Hugz,

Nancy

Comments

  1. Sounds like a wonderful day, I wish we had sethng like that here. Your picture is ****FANTASTIC**** Your food sounds good, too! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your painting is beautiful Nancy, and lovely to see photos you painting too.
    Your day sounds wonderful.
    Happy T-Day!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, What an awesome event! So glad you went and I love your painting! Your food sounds delicious too! Happy T hugs Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. It came out super-great! And like you had a lot of fun and Pizza.... ohhhh... lucky you. I had to eat sweet cake, "bahhh..."!
    And, yes, I stepped out of my comfort zone, too, and was rewarded with a ride for Hubby and I! Happy T-Day and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have enjoyed roaming the cemetery. I love looking at the gravestones especially the old ones that were carved by hand. Your outing sounds fabulous and your watercolor is awesome. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your piece came out amazing Nancy. I always feel intimidated at such events, and I shouldn't. I even was on the phone with a good friend Sunday talking about art. She is extremely talented, and I feel like I couldn't talk about what I do because it wasn't as good as what she can do. Is that stupid or what? It sounds like a great day and you have a really wonderful daughter to go and support you also. Thanks for sharing and happy T day Nancy. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing and wonderful time you had and even more bonding with your daughter. Mental health is SO important. Your painting is beautiful. I can see why your daughter hung it in her house. And you got free art supplies, too!

    I enjoyed reading about Prattvile and its relationship with cotton. That drink sounds amazing. I've had creamsicles before, but not anything with alcohol. Your coffee sure sounded good, though. Thanks for taking us to the Plein Air art festival, sharing your awesome art, and showing us your daughter's drink for T this Tuesday, dear Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do try to do that Nancy (swap partner!) step out of my comfort zone.. put myself out there.. Let my art be seen.. i usually get a positive response so that has helped me keep going! So glad you went! Happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your painting turned out beautifully, Nancy! And you inspired me to do some sketching in our old cemetery - it is close to my home, just a 15 minute walk from here. This would be a lovely way to spend some time there instead of only walking it (which I do often).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like cemeteries too. It sounded like a fun event. I hope you will go again.
    By the way, your picture is amazing!
    I don't go out of my comfort zone often, but when I do, I often learn a lot and then it becomes not so 'un-comfortable' any more.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely, but anything you do is great. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Forest Goodies and Other Projects

 Hello Crafty Friends. I just got the Stamperia Forest Paper and Die Cuts in the mail so I had to play with them right away.   I have a combo creation - journal page and card.  On the journal page I used my 6x6 Dina Wakley Journal and laid a base of gesso.  I then used Dina's pastel crayons and some SU! inks and stamps.  Also added in some TH Dress Ink in Vintage Photo since I don't know how to make anything without it  (seriously).   The eagle is a Stamperia Forest die cut and is coated with gesso.  Did a bit of stenciling and distressing to finish the page off.  I am linking this the the **Art*Journal*Journey* September Texture Theme (last day - can't wait to see what October's Theme will be).  The die cut and the little smears add texture to the already very textured page.   I love the blue and green together and was inspired to made a quick card for my Son-in-law who cut down some tree limbs for us the other day.  The paper in the middle is from the Stamperia Forest

A Martini, Peanut Butter Cupakes, and Art

Hello Friends. Today, I have an ecletic mix of drinks, dessert, and art. First, it's T-day somewhere in the world so time for a drink post which I am linking to Elizabeth's Blog - Altered Book Lover.  Last week we had a work related dinner.  When the waitress asked what I wanted to drink, I had a sudden craving for a martini.  I use to love them, but I guess my tastes have changed because I wasn't a fan.  I was a fan of the chips and dips though! And the day before, I brought my Sister's fabulous peanut butter cupcakes.  Mainly because I was craving them and couldn't ask her to make just one..... Over at **Art*Journal*Journey* Elle picked a theme of Books, Cats, and Tea (you can pick one, two or three of the items).  I did a Bible Journal Page in my Journaling Bible - Luke 13:24-25.  After a layer of Gesso, I took a Sharpie pen and drew the kitty, then the narrow door, and then colored the door with Arteza Brush pens. The verse was written with a Micron pen.  This

Milkshake Malt Porter and a Bit of Art

 Hello friends and Happy T-day. It has been hit or miss with me lately on T-day posts. The remodel of our house next door has taken our mental and physical energy.  I think a few more weeks and things will be on the contractor instead of us.  Hopefully I will be back to normal by then. My Oldest Darling Daughter asked if we wanted to come for dinner Saturday.  Translation:  go to the store with me and we will bring part of dinner to your house and you cook the rest.  While at the store, I saw one 6 pack of this fun milkshake porter so, of course, I bought it.  It smells wonderful (a hint of chocolate and a hit of malt) and has a light creamy taste.  I would definitely buy it again if I see it.  My son-in-law did not like it, but he is more a  Miller Lite fan.  Now if this had been a whiskey, he would have been all over it.  LOL.  Linking this to Elizabeth's blog for the T-party gang. Darling Daughter had tried her hand at dried pintos, and she rocked them (I will begging for a rep